Man Sues Starbucks After Suffering Burns at Drive-Thru Window

September 20, 2020

Tommy Piluyev and his wife were making a routine trip to the Starbucks drive-thru when he suffered painful burns due to a faulty lid on a cup of tea. Now, the coffee giant is facing a lawsuit.

According to Today, when Piluyev and his wife, Liudmila Maftey, went to the Northern California drive-thru to order two Honey Citrus Mint Teas in 2018, the lid to one of the cups came off when he went to grab the beverages, resulting in burns on Piluyev's hands, stomach, and lap area.

"Hot tea spilled on Mr. Piluyev's left hand during the transfer, the cup overturned on the window sill and hot tea poured onto Mr. Piluyev's hands, stomach, and pelvic area," the lawsuit reports.

Piluyev went to an emergency room following the incident where he was treated and spent 11 days in the burn unit. He "required intravenous pain control along with intensive and invasive wound care."

As a result, Piluyev and Maftey are seeking reparations from both Starbucks and Pactiv Packaging Inc., who are responsible for Starbucks cups and lids, for product liability and negligence.

"In the five months post-discharge, Mr. Piluyev gradually regained the ability to walk, the ability to sense touch in some of his fingers, the ability to hold his young child, and eventually, to use a computer keyboard. Mr. Piluyev remained unable to play the piano," the lawsuit reads.

A spokesperson for Starbucks has responded to the incident, saying, "We investigated the claim in 2018 and found that the handoff to the customer was successful. We believe the claim has no merit though we feel for the pain and suffering Mr. Piluyev experienced. We take our responsibility to provide a safe environment seriously and will continue to do so."

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram